Partick Thistle Edge Out Strong Stenhousemuir

After a very strong opening 10 minutes for the home side, they eventually had to hold out for a good defensive display as Thistle grew into the game more and more. Although a penalty after 30 minutes, from Thomas Orr after a push in the back from the thistle right back, put Stenny in the lead going into halftime, it would be finishes from Brian Graham and Zak Rudden that would see Thistle through after great play down the left-hand side from half-time substitute Scott Tiffoney who managed to skip free to assist Rudden, before laying of Richie foster who found Brian Graham at the back post.

After a very strong opening 10 minutes for the home side, they eventually had to turn in a good defensive display as Thistle grew into the game. With great performances from Wedderburn, Crighton, and Jamieson for the home side, although it wasn’t enough. A special mention for Nicky Jamieson who had joined 21 hours before kick-off, on loan from Alloa.

All game, Sean Crighton, Nicky Jamieson, and Nat Wedderburn won everything that came near them, and in doing so kept Zak Rudden and Brian Graham extremely quiet. Nat Wedderburn in particular had an extremely impressive game in the middle of the park winning tackles and starting the transition to attack multiple times throughout the game, playing a huge part in Stennys attacking phases. Crighton and Jamieson had good games dominating the thistle attacks aerially, Jamieson having only joined 21 hours before kick-off on loan from Alloa.

The boys in action

The majority of Thistles’ best chances all came from the wings, in an attempt to play around the three Stenny players, with Connor Murray having the most joy down the left-hand side in the first half, managing to create multiple chances. Both goals would come in the second half, after brilliant play down the left-hand side leaving two easy finishes for Thistle, thanks to half-time substitute Scott Tiffoney. In the first half alone, multiple high-quality crosses were put into the box, begging for someone to go on the end of them, along with a lot of corners throughout the game that deserved a goal from the quality of delivery. In the second half, it would be Zak Rudden, who had an empty net, and Brian Graham heading in the winner for Thistle after finally putting away their chances.

Tiffoney seemed to up the intensity of the Thistle midfield in the second half and help them.

Ian McCall said ‘I felt we could have got the ball into them more in the first half particularly. We played it about well at times and had lots of possession, but you have got to use the striker. We did it more as the game went on and that turned into goals.’

This leaves both teams in joint third in Group H, with Thistle to play bottom of the group Dumbarton on Tuesday, whilst Stenny host table toppers St Mirren.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s